Re: mozilla and new XFree86

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:11:41PM -0500, H. S. wrote:
> Apparently, _Rick Pasotto_, on 03/29/04 17:58,typed:
> >XFree86 got updated to 4.3 in testing today and now mozilla won't run.
> >Firefox does run. Has anyone else had this problem or do I have
> >something wrong on my system?
> >

> Just to let you know that my Mozilla is running okay:
> $> dpkg -l xfree86-common mozilla
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  xfree86-common 4.3.0-7        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
> ii  mozilla        1.5-3          Mozilla Web Browser - dummy package

OK, here's the current situation.

First, I'm running Mozilla 1.7b untarred in my home directory from the
tarball. (BTW, 1.7 really *is* noticeably faster.)

Second, I've discovered that it does run fine IFF I start it from a
shell command line. However, when I use the Run menu or a launcher the
program starts, opens a window, and then immediately exits. This now
looks to me like an environment problem. Is there a log file somewhere
that might clue me in as to the problem?

--
If you start with the already absurd assumption that the
government is the morally active force and that the nation is