Re: Debian in Server Farm

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 07.04, Michael Bellears wrote:

> Would appreciate anyone's experiences/recommendations on the
> following points:
>
> 1. What is the recommended method to synch config files on all "real"
> servers (Eg. Httpd.conf, horde/imp config files etc?) - Have only one
> server that admins connect to for mods, then rsync any changes to the
> other servers?

Would be one way. Another way is to set up a cvs or subversion
repository and use this to distribute the config file. Has the
additional bonus of being able to trace back how the config file was
changed.

> 2. What about logfiles - We would have all users mail etc on an NFS
> share - Can you do the same for logfiles?(Or do you get locking
> issues?) - From a statistical aspect, it would be a pain to have to
> collaborate each "real" servers logfiles, then run analysis. Also
> from a support perspective - How are support personnel supposed to
> know which "real" server a client would actually be connecting to in
> order to see if they are entering a wrong username/pass etc?

Use a dedicated server for logging and have all servers send the log to
that over the network.

> 3. Imaging of Servers[...]

No idea.

<http://infrastructures.org> is a very useful web site about
administrating machines that are supposed to stay the same.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro