Re: Debian Installation Questions...

> 1) I have already downloaded debian from one the mirror site listed on
> debian.org website (complete folder on windows appears as 1.16GB with
> 2836 files). I want to know is this correct approximate size for
> debian installable files.
> 2) If above is not correct can some-one guide me where i can correct
> files.

Absolutely the easiest way is to download the CD images as
single files, burn to CD and install from there. Then you
can be certain you have everything you need. Take a look at
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ for info.

> 3) How can i install debian on External HDD and boot from that drive
> instead of WinXP.

Attaching the disk and installing Debian on to it are straighforward;
just make sure that you are installing to the *new* HDD and not
the old one! :-))) Easiest to identify which is which by examining
the partition tables through the Debian installer, or flipping to
a second virtual terminal (ALT-F2) and running 'fdisk /dev/hda' or
'fdisk /dev/hdb' and just displaying the partition table.

The slight problem arises from that the computer will always attempt to
boot the *first* harddisk (whichever *it* decides is the first). This
means that the MBR (master boot record) of that first hard disk must
contain the instructions "ask the user if they want to boot the MS
windows OS from *this* hard disk, or Debian from the other one." There
are two standard programs that will read a configuration file and
write such a question-asking MBR. They are LILO and GRUB. Both are
included in Debian.

Beware that normally what happens is that such an MBR gets written to
the first HDD that will *only* boot the Linux disk. This can cause a
bit of panic when you think that the other OS has disappeared! But in
fact it is simply that you are not being offered the chance to boot
it although it is still there. A bit of editing of the config files
and rewriting of the MBR will fix this.

If possible, see if you can get someone who knows about these things
to help you in person.

> 4) Can i use external HDD with my laptop also when i want to use Linux
> through laptop.

You mean you want to disconnect the HDD from the desktop machine,
and connect it to the laptop? No idea if possible, but beware of the
loaded drivers not being right for the laptop's hardware.

What I would suggest instead is that you make yourself a small home
network (a hub, two twisted-pair cables, and network interfaces in
both machines is all that is needed), and on the laptop you install
Putty, or Cygwin (including their SSH) - you could even use the
default Telnet application that is part of MS Windows, and then you
just use one of these to go across your home network and access the
Debian box that way.

Alexis