Debian Installation Questions...

Hello,

I m preety new to Linux and having some problems installing properly,
Hopefully some in the group can help me out or suggest simple
solution.

Here is the scenario --

My currect system configuration is 80GB internal HDD (Primary), I have
WinXP already installed on my this HDD. I bought a new internal 160gb
HDD and an enclosure to make is USB2.0 external HDD. When i connect
it USB port, system recognizes it fine ( I havent formatted this disk
yet.)

Now problem is --

I want to install Debian on this external HDD, so that i can use this
with my laptop also as and when required.

Question is --

1) I have already downloaded debian from one the mirror site listed on
debian.org website (complete folder on windows appears as 1.16GB with
2836 files). I want to know is this correct approximate size for
debian installable files.
2) If above is not correct can some-one guide me where i can correct
files.
3) How can i install debian on External HDD and boot from that drive
instead of WinXP.
4) Can i use external HDD with my laptop also when i want to use Linux
through laptop.

Any suggestion/help/advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanx in advance for all ur valuable help.

-sam
----