Re: gnome log viewer gives an error

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:33:20 -0500
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am running Sarge on 2.4.24-1-686. Currently I am in gnome. From the
> menu whenever I start Gnoem Log Viewer it gives an error:
> Applicaitons->SystemTools->View Logs  gives "/var/log/messages/ could
> not be opened. No log files to open."
>
> I guess this could be because I am running the viewer as a normal user
>
> and the file above is owned by root:adm. I guess for the same reason I
>
> cannot specifically ask the viewer to show a particular file (from
> it's "File .." menu).
>
> But isn't the log viewer program supposed to ask me for the root
> password to show the logs? In Fedora it does btw.
>
> So how do I use the viewer?
>
> All help is appricated.
> thanks,
> ->HS

It looks to me like it's misconfigured. It's looking for a directory
/var/log/messages/, not a file /var/log/messages.

I can't tell you how it /should/ be configured since I don't have it
installed. But that's what the error appears to be saying.

You'd definitely have to be root or enter a password somewhere to take a
look at it. You could use sudo kdesu or gksu to ask the root password
before running it. I have an alias and a few icons that do exactly that
for synaptic and a few others. That's probably how Fedora does it: run a
script or pass along some commandline options that force kdesu or gksu
to pop up. Try it this way:

gksu -c <filename>

If gksu fails, try kdesu. Substitute the filename for whatever the log
viewer is called.

--
If nautical nonsense be something you wish,
then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!