gnome log viewer gives an error

I am running Sarge on 2.4.24-1-686. Currently I am in gnome. From the menu whenever I start Gnoem Log Viewer it gives an error: Applicaitons->SystemTools->View Logs gives "/var/log/messages/ could not be opened. No log files to open."

I guess this could be because I am running the viewer as a normal user and the file above is owned by root:adm. I guess for the same reason I cannot specifically ask the viewer to show a particular file (from it's "File .." menu).

But isn't the log viewer program supposed to ask me for the root password to show the logs? In Fedora it does btw.

So how do I use the viewer?

All help is appricated.
thanks,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)