e100 NIC module problems

I got a new Dell poweredge 400SC that comes with an embedded NIC. Lspci refers to the ethernet controller as an "Unknown device e100 (rev 02)" I tried using eepro and eepro100 modules but they wouldn't work. Both returning error messages saying " Hint: you are trying to install a module without a GPL compatible license . . .

Looking for the proper module, I found a "e100 module at the Intel web site that would create an rpm. And a source file on the debian site. Both seem to want to work in the 2.4 kernel. I have old debian disks that I have always used and then upgraded with apt. If I can't get the NIC running I can't upgrade.

Is there a module that will get this NIC running in this kernel
Is there something else I can do