Re: Some sox questions.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:28:57PM +0000, Adam Funk said
> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 07:40, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:23:03AM +0000, Adam Funk said
> >> (I'm running sox 12.17.4 on Debian testing.)
> >>
> >> sox -h and the man page suggest mp3 support, but
> >>
> >> $ sox foo.wav foo.mp3
> >> sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support
> >>
> >> produces nothing (actually an empty file), although
> >>
> >> $ sox foo1.mp3 foo1.wav
> >> sox: Do not support MPEG audio (layer I, III or III) with 16-bit
> >> data. Forcing to Signed.
> >>
> >> produces a wav file.  I assume this is because of licensing issues
> >> with the MP3 encoding algorithm, right?
> >
> > Yes, Debian contains no mp3 encoding code.  You can get packages of
>
> So how is it that the Debian-packaged normalize works on MP3s?  It must
> encode as well as decode them since it modifies the MP3 file.

Hm, I don't know.  It does Depend on libmad0 which is a "MPEG audio
decoder library", though.  Maybe it's possible to scale the amplitude of
MP3s without re-encoding them?  Or maybe it just outputs normalised .wav
files?

> (Curiously, it doesn't support Ogg-Vorbis!)

IIRC, the Vorbis format has a metadata field within the file that lets
you specify a normalisation level, which decoders will honour.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      AIMSX Geraldton fraud supercomputer Uzi MD5 JPL rail gun