Re: Some sox questions.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:23:03AM +0000, Adam Funk said
> (I'm running sox 12.17.4 on Debian testing.)
>
> sox -h and the man page suggest mp3 support, but
>
> $ sox foo.wav foo.mp3
> sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support
>
> produces nothing (actually an empty file), although
>
> $ sox foo1.mp3 foo1.wav
> sox: Do not support MPEG audio (layer I, III or III) with 16-bit data.
> Forcing to Signed.
>
> produces a wav file.  I assume this is because of licensing issues with
> the MP3 encoding algorithm, right?

Yes, Debian contains no mp3 encoding code.  You can get packages of lame
(which will encode) and mplayer (which will convert from pretty much
anything to anything else) here, though:

ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/

> More bizarre, however, is the fact that
> $ sox foo1.mp3 foo1.wav
> produces a WAV file of a type that XMMS cannot play and cdrecord cannot
> use (although the WAV file can be converted by sox into valid files in
> other formats such as ogg).  Why is this?

What does "file" say the weird .wav is?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:        bluebird Aladdin brigand SHA Montenegro propaganda DES