Re: How to start network _after_ pcmcia drivers load?

> I recently did a reinstall of Debian (3.0r1 kernel 2.4.18-686).
> I must have done something different this time as the network
> is trying to come up before the pcmcia driver is loaded which
> is where the network card is. The first time I installed on
> this laptop everything worked fine (after changing
> /etc/default/pcmcia: PCIC=yenta_socket).
>
> Right now I "fix" it by doing a 'ifdown eth0' followed by
> 'ifup eth0' as soon as I log in. After this everything works as
> expected.
>
> What is the best way to correct this?

I suggest you read the Netork Configuration chapter of the
Debian Reference.  Also read the README for the hotplug
package and interfaces(5).  If you use ifupdown-roam,
also read its README file.

The modern approach is to put an "exit 0" at the top of
/etc/pcmcia/network and to install the hotplug package.
When the network interface is detected, hotplug will run
ifup for it.  For this to work you need to set up
/etc/network/interfaces in the way described in the hotplug
README file.  Alternatively you can use ifplugd to bring
up the interface when and only when the interface is
connected to a live network.

Make sure that the interface is not listed on an "auto"
line in /etc/network/interfaces.
--
Thomas Hood