Re: How to start network _after_ pcmcia drivers load?

J.D. Hood wrote:
I recently did a reinstall of Debian (3.0r1 kernel 2.4.18-686).
I must have done something different this time as the network
is trying to come up before the pcmcia driver is loaded which
is where the network card is. The first time I installed on
this laptop everything worked fine (after changing
/etc/default/pcmcia: PCIC=yenta_socket).

Right now I "fix" it by doing a 'ifdown eth0' followed by
'ifup eth0' as soon as I log in. After this everything works as
expected.

What is the best way to correct this?

I suggest you read the Netork Configuration chapter of the
Debian Reference.  Also read the README for the hotplug
package and interfaces(5).  If you use ifupdown-roam,
also read its README file.

The modern approach is to put an "exit 0" at the top of /etc/pcmcia/network and to install the hotplug package.
When the network interface is detected, hotplug will run
ifup for it.  For this to work you need to set up
/etc/network/interfaces in the way described in the hotplug
README file.  Alternatively you can use ifplugd to bring
up the interface when and only when the interface is connected to a live network.

Make sure that the interface is not listed on an "auto"
line in /etc/network/interfaces.

Thanks Thomas. I was able to get it working by removing the 'auto' line from /etc/network/interfaces, and installing the 'hotplug' package. I still feel I need to pursue all the references you mentioned to make sure it is setup correctly and to make sure I understand how these packages (pcmcia-cs, hotplug) relate, etc.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards,
Randy.