Re: Inline PGP signatures

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:38:39PM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:11:42 -0800
> Bill Thompson <Billt@Mahagonny.com> wrote:
> >
> > In addition many of the
> > people I correspond with use M$ Outlook which not only doesn't
> > understand PGP-MIME but hides the body of the message when PGP-MIME
> > attachments are present.
>
> Huh.  That's odd.  It's the canonical wisdom these days -- borne out
> by my experience with several correspondants who use Outlook -- that
> Outlook handles PGP signature attachments just fine.  *Outlook
> Express*, OTOH, is broken in just the fashion you describe -- it
> looks like a blank message, with the actual text portion of the message
> appearing as the first attachment, and the PGP signature as the
> second attachment, to them.

One interesting thing I have noticed with OE is that it correctly
displays the message if there is an additional attachment as well as the
signature.

Good thing too, since mutt wont let you use an inline signature
automatically if there is an attachment.

I just end up setting inline sigs as default then enter exceptions for
mailing lists and people I know who can deal with the pgp/mime stuff.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a