Re: Where'd my ALSA sound go?

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:12:30PM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I recently rebooted after a few weeks of uptime, and ALSA no longer works on
> my machine (sid with a Debian 2.6.3-686 kernel).  Specifically, even though
> all of the sound modules appear to be loaded, I get errors like:
>
> % sudo alsactl restore
> Password:
> alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 4600 PC with an Intel 8x0 chipset, using the
> snd_intel8x0 ALSA driver.  I have no idea what's changed.  Sound worked this
> morning, then I rebooted, and now I have an unintentionally silent
> computer.  Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with how alsa in kernel 2.6 works, but let me take a
stab.

Was alsa-utils (or possibly other alsa components) upgraded recently?  I
run testing, with 2.4 kernels, but recently, after some alsa upgrades, I
experienced a similar occurrence, finally discovering that my
/etc/alsa/modutils/1.0 file had been changed, and the line (in my case):

options snd-sgalaxy index=0 id=CARD_0 sbport=0x220 wssport=0x530 \
irq=10 dma1=0

was missing.  Upon reinserting this line (if this has happened, you
should have a 1.0.debconf-backup in there to copy from), and running
update-modules, I had sound again.

Again, I don't know if this would even be the case with 2.6 kernel, but
this (or the 2.6 version of this) might be your problem.