Re: DVD Playback in Debian

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:53:29PM -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:
> There is a lot of information on this subject: a lot of out-of-date
> information. I would like to play some of my DVDs on my Debian laptop.
> Yes, that includes (all?) those encrypted with CSS. I am not against
> building packages from source code but I'd like to avoid doing so as to
> keep things within the dpkg database.

equivs is good for this.

> Here's the thing that absolutely pisses me off: Late last night I was
> able to get xine to play a DVD, an encrypted DVD. I couldn't get any
> sound, so I decided to leave it alone for the time being and try again
> in the morning. Now it won't play the discs at all: It says it can't
> read the NAV packets and the console has errors from libdvdcss saying
> there were errors getting the CSS key.

Not having any kind of DVD drive, I don't have any knowledge of
playing DVDs in Debian (though I have downloaded the libdvdcss source
for future-proofing in case any of these nasty lawsuits actually
succeed :-) )... but if you haven't changed anything, and you haven't
had a cron job etc. change anything, I'd be inclined on general
principles to suspect the DVD drive. Does it still play non-encrypted
DVDs? If not, clean the lens... if yes, I've no idea I'm afraid.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons