Re: multiple inputs... one computer... math teacher

Wilson Morris wrote:

Hello,
  I am a fairly new math teacher, with some programming, computer background. One of the keys to teaching is CFU which means checking for understanding, which is supposed to be done constantly during the course of a lecture.  Traditionally, teachers give a quiz, or class-work (time consuming) at the end of the class, or homework, check it at night, then by the next day, they know if the class got the concept / or teaching.
I envision having 32 to 36 wireless keyboards (only) on students desks, attached to one computer, with input going into an Access or Excel file where answers could be quickly tabulated, to immediately check for % of correct responses, so I as a teacher could either go on to the next point, or stop, and revisit material that was not grasped.
My question is, where would you suggest I start looking for such a way to make this a reality??
You are definitely in the right place.
I think that you will find that gnumeric, with gnumeric-plugins-extra, is easily the equal of Excell. The structure of the programme that is being assembled and continuously improved upon here is specifically geared to the educational environment, with the ability to be installed on the kinfd of older machines that most educational facilities are forced to use because of budgetry restriction.

I would suggest that you stick around, ask questions, use a packet manager to explore for applications that you believe you may have application for (There are many debian-edu packages in the repository), visit the SkoleLinux website, and install the SkoleLinux CD and give us your impressions on how it meets your needs.
Regards,

David.