i810 X driver causes laptop display corruption

Perhaps someone can help me here...I am confounded by this.

I am running Debian testing, kernel 2.6.4, on a laptop with an Intel 855
integrated graphics chip, which uses the i810 X display driver. XFree86
has been upgraded to 4.3.x from unstable (4.2.1 does not support this
chip, or so I'm told).

This laptop needs the dsdt-in-initrd patch to do anything useful with
ACPI. If that patch is active and there is a DSDT in the initrd (in
other words, ACPI is working), and I close the lid on my laptop in X,
when I open it the Kicker bar has disappeared from the bottom of the
screen and there is a corrupted bar at the top of the screen (about the
size of the Kicker, interestingly enough). This persists until X is
restarted. This does NOT happen when:

* I am using the vesa display driver instead of i810.

* ACPI is disabled by "acpi=off" or the patched DSDT isn't available to
the kernel.

I have used a two other distros on this machine before, both with 2.6.x
kernels, and this is the first time this has happened.

I have tried:

* disabling different extensions, including DRI

* and disabling the framebuffer.

I was unable to disable the VESA framebuffer and use the Intel-specific
driver instead because Bootsplash requires vesafb and fails compilation
without it. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas for me to
try? I would appreciate anything!!

--
Andrew Barr <barr.156@osu.edu>