Re: Terribly slow gui (gnome&kde)

> I'm running unstable on DELL optiplex gx270 (nvidia geforce4 mx 440, 256MB
> RAM, P4 ....)
> Linux xyz 2.6.2-1-386
> xserver-xfree8 4.3.0-7
> gnome-core     47 (???) (2.4.....)
> kdebase        3.2.1-1
> kde            3.1.2
>
> X-windows and kdm are starting fast and without problems but when I try to
> start either gnome or kde it takes literally hour(s). Last time I measured
> Splash screen was displayed for 15mins. After any of this is loaded system
> seems to work fine. Top doesn?t reveal anything???

Have you changed your firewall settings lately?  This slowness happened to
me once when, by mistake, I set the default policy in the iptables nat and
mangle tables to DROP.  That stopped all traffic on the loopback interface,
which made my whole system (but especially KDE) slow to a crawl.  Took me
about a week to figure it out.