Re: Soundcard got crazy under linux

Bokeron wrote:

Hello, I am a new user to the list. I have a problem with my laptop's integrated soundcard. It is a SiS7012 (using driver i8x0).

The soundcard worked perfectly for a year under Mandrake 9.1 first, with kernel 2.4.x and recently under Debian sid with kernel 2.6.2 and 2.6.3.

One day I was trying to configure volume control keys for the laptop and when I started an X session as root while having another X session playing music, that music stopped as the other session loaded artsd (yes, I use KDE). I thought it was a conflict between those 2 artsd, but when I restarted artsd on the other session I still got no sound, though the mp3 player seemed to play. After some time trying to fix it, I installed Mandrake 10 on another partition just to give it a try, and surprise surprise, I had no sound although it was detected and configured. I had a brainstorm and plugged my headphones, getting as a result a very low sound. On the speakers I cannot hear anything.

It may seem like a hardware problem, but it works ok under Windows XP (which is weird anyway :-D).

I'd try a third OS, Knoppix, just to see what happens.

I'd check the BIOS settings to see if there's anything in there regarding the sound card that might have an effect.

--
Kent