Soundcard got crazy under linux

Hello, I am a new user to the list. I have a problem with my laptop's
integrated soundcard. It is a SiS7012 (using driver i8x0).

The soundcard worked perfectly for a year under Mandrake 9.1 first, with
kernel 2.4.x and recently under Debian sid with kernel 2.6.2 and 2.6.3.

One day I was trying to configure volume control keys for the laptop and when
I started an X session as root while having another X session playing music,
that music stopped as the other session loaded artsd (yes, I use KDE). I
thought it was a conflict between those 2 artsd, but when I restarted artsd
on the other session I still got no sound, though the mp3 player seemed to
play. After some time trying to fix it, I installed Mandrake 10 on another
partition just to give it a try, and surprise surprise, I had no sound
although it was detected and configured. I had a brainstorm and plugged my
headphones, getting as a result a very low sound. On the speakers I cannot
hear anything.

It may seem like a hardware problem, but it works ok under Windows XP (which
is weird anyway :-D).

So, I have a very low volume soundcard only under linux, but previously it
worked ok. Now, does anyone know of any solution? I have tried on alsa-user
mailing list but got no response, so I am quite desperate and I don't want to
use Windows anymore (my mobile phone works under linux but not under Windows,
that's really cool, though it's supposed to be auto-configured under XP :-D).

Before anyone asks, I have set alsamixer's controls all full volume.

Any suggestion?

Thank you on advance.

Regards