Re: switching window managers and session managers - update-alternatives ?

Incoming from Kai Grossjohann:

> Maybe the easiest method is to do it from the config file.  When you
> log in via xdm, kdm, gdm, or a similar program, then the file
> ~/.xsession is read.  If you log in on the console and start X11 via
> startx, then ~/.xinitrc is read.

That is exactly opposite to how it works here.  I just gave up using
gdm and gnome.  Figuring out that I needed to ignore .xinitrc and use
.xsession instead was THE major stumbling block (Woody/stable 3.0r2,
Libranet 2.0).

- -