Re: [OT] buying keyboards

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 08:08 -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Shaun ONeil wrote:
>
> >Above the number keys, I have " (quote, shift-2), £ (GBP, shift-3) .. a
> >US keymap has @ and # respectively.  Tilde (~) is shift-hash (#), placed
> >[etc]

> It's not a total fix, but you can remap your keyboard and move keycaps
> around; perhaps that'd help some. Of course, it'd be better if you could
> just find a UK keyboard like you originally asked for, so I'll go slink
> off now . . . .
>
> --
> Kent

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now .. using a US keyboard with
a UK keymap, so when I hit shift-2 I get a quote - regardless of wether
it's labelled as such or not. I don't actually look at the keys all too
often, so the label isn't an issue .. it's having the key where my
finger habitally lands.  However some keys are physically missing, ie
having the pipe between left-shift and Z - there isn't a key there to
map.

I've started bidding on eBay .. a possibility I'd entirely overlooked,
having never used it before - and also cleaning and recleaning the old
one in desperation.   Thanks for all the suggestions list.

Shaun

(Further OT / random babble: I've been looking for a laptop/notebook
lately, and this has suddenly made me realise that I've two choices. Buy
one in the US, and just get used to the different layout .. or buy one
in the UK and pay much, much more for it .. oh the joys of being
expatriated ..)