Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
I just saw this in Debian Weekly News issue ten:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00067.html>

I guess I just wonder.

I've never found any sort of hostility or difficulty in dealing with any
technically-oriented online forum; if anything, I've found that some
people seem to go out of their way to respond to women.

Okay, I lie.  I've had hostility from a couple of individuals, but I've
*never* attributed it to my female-ness, and in most cases there was
evidence to suggest that they were equal-opportunity flamethrowers =)

Any women out there?  Have you found debian and/or other OSS or
technical groups to be difficult, possibly because you're female?

Any guys have opinions?

She seems to be talking about a fear of being put down or treated poorly
for participating in a technical forum.  This isn't a fear I've ever
had, but maybe I'm in the minority?  I've also heard of women
masquerading as men online to avoid any such questions ... and I've had
women tell me that, in MMORPG type situations, groups tend to follow
their direction much better when they played a male character.  Me, I
never cared for playing male characters, so I haven't had a chance to
test that theory.

Just kind of wondering what others think about this.  I don't find
debian off-putting, but then, I use vim, so maybe my interpretation of
"userfriendly" is a bit unconventional.  I think her suggestion that the
community be aware that the poster may be nervous in the first place is
a good point, regardless of their gender, but putting "woman-friendly!"
on the website would be a bit odd -- although certainly more welcome
than that ridiculous "designed by women" printer (with handle!) or the
"made for women" car with the welded hood ...
Sorry for the rambling ...
i know exactly what she means and dont think it is a male/female thing.
i'm a programmer, partly responsible for our main servers and development servers in house, happy to repair/build computers but still find that I do have a certain amount of trepidation when posting technical difficulties. I dont know why tho. probably looking an ass in public when you discover the answer was right under your nose (and fifty people point it out) is the main concern. I dont particularly like standing up in front of hundreds of people and asking questions either, I dont think this is really that different.
Aside form that does anyone know how disable the mousepad when typing?

--
cheers
tim