Re: KDE Mouse Failure

Clyde Wilson wrote:

[KDE dies when starting; Gnome works fine]. Yep, I've tried as other users.  I've reinstalled the entire system, reinstalled kde.  I've used startx, kdm and gdm, all with the same results.
KDE comes up, starts the initialization and then comes down.  Seems to blow on my mouse....

I have a PS/2 mouse.

don't have gpm installed...but I have tried it in the past.  Still
wouldn't come up.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver  "mouse"
Option  "CorePointer"
Option  "Device"  "/dev/psaux"
Option  "Protocol"  "PS/2"
Option  "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option  "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Mouse"
Driver  "mouse"
Option  "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option  "Device"  "/dev/input/mice"
Option  "Protocol"  "ImPS/2"
Option  "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option  "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen  "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

I have no idea why it generates 2 mice.  I only have one.  It's built in to
the motherboard. I've tried commenting them out, one at a time...still won't come up.

Everything looks good, and since Gnome starts up, I'm 99.837% confident that the problem is not mouse-related. What makes you suspect the mouse? If you unplug the mouse, you should get an error message about no input device being found.

The second input device section is a generic section that is ignored in your case. But if you were to plug a USB mouse in, this section would recognize it.

Just for kicks, you might want to comment out the "InputDevice 'Generic Mouse'" line.

--
Kent