Re: KDE Mouse Failure

Pigeon wrote:

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 03:47:10PM -0800, Clyde Wilson wrote:
Pigeon wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:19:53PM -0800, Clyde Wilson wrote:
Yes, when I tried to start it wouldn't come up.  Plenty of messages but
no error messages.
I commented out the extra mice one at a time with the same results.

It bothers me that XF86Config works fine with gnome but not with kde...
Reading your post more carefully than I did the first time :-/ the
message "Caught signal 4" refers to encountering an illegal
instruction. So maybe you have a damaged package... try reinstalling
kde (kdebase, kdebase-libs, kdelibs3), or failing that reinstall X. If
none of that works it might be an idea to post your XFree86.0.log.
Thanks for the help, Pigeon.  I just reloaded KDE from the Debian ftp site.
Still get the same error in the same place...I'll keep trying.

In which case unfortunately I've run out of ideas... something in your
KDE config, perhaps? I don't use the full KDE desktop - just odd KDE
apps as the need arises - so I can't be any more specific. Perhaps
someone else can?

I'm coming into the middle of this thread.

So, you can start X if you use Gnome, but not if you use KDE?

What if you log in as a different user (who has never run KDE and therefore has no KDE-related files in his home directory), and try starting KDE? Does that fail also? (Alternatively, kill all the KDE-related files in your home directory and try, but it'd be better to use an entirely different user.)

How are you starting KDE? Via a session manager (xdm, gdm, wdm, kdm, etc)? Via "startx" with something in your .xinitrc? If you try a different method, do you get the same failure?

--
Kent