RE: exim - spamassassin? - msexchange

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:32AM, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:46:24AM -0600, Michael Kahle wrote:
>| I would like to setup a intermediary mail server that will filter
>| email coming in for spam and then reroute the "good" mail to my
>| msexchange server. Any suggestions on what I should use to do this?
>|
>| I am currently thinking that I need to use exim as my mta and
>| spamassassin as my filtering program.  Does this sound like a good
>| approach?
>
>Sure.  Another good option is postfix+spamassassin.
>
>| What
>| problems should I expect up front so that I can perhaps account for
>| these before I change over?
>
>http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/
>
> Be sure that the exim system has access to the complete list of valid
local
> users and that you reject invalid local users at the front door rather
than
> trying to pass them on to the internal server.

Very cool.  Thanks!

>| Is there a system that would allow users to send an
>| email to say nospam@mydomain.com and it could automatically process
>| this mail as spam and prevent future delivery?
>
> A better approach is to set up a shared IMAP folder users can save the
mesage
> to.  The problem with email forwarding is that mail clients change the
message
> - they put their own headers in the new message and put some sort of
delimiter
> in/around the original and don't include all of the original headers.

Good point.  I wonder how I would do that through exchange so that everyone
can
see the folder without me having to setup one on each computer individually.
Perhaps
it won't be all that necessary to go there though.  If this works reasonably
well,
users will see very little spam and then I can tweak spamassassin on an
individual basis.

> PS.  See also http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/antispam-postfix/

I'll check it out.  Thanks so much... just the kind of things I was looking
for!

Michael