Fwd: Re: exim - spamassassin? - msexchange

Forgot about the list :(

----- Forwarded message from Joost De Cock <joost.decock@astrid.be> -----
    Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:20:30 +0100
    From: Joost De Cock <joost.decock@astrid.be>
 Subject: Re: exim - spamassassin? - msexchange
      To: Michael Kahle <michael.kahle@scc-wi.com>

Quoting Michael Kahle <michael.kahle@scc-wi.com>:

> I would like to setup a intermediary mail server that will filter email
> coming in for spam and then reroute the "good" mail to my msexchange server.
> Any suggestions on what I should use to do this?

I have setup an anti-spam relay server as you describe. I use postfix, with
amavisd-new and spamassassin.
A cool thing I have setup is per-user configuration. Our users can login an a
web interface (authentication via LDAP on Active Directory) and set the levels
for tagging spam and manage their blacklist and whitelist.
The web interface is a quick hack I did myself (it's PHP) but if you're
interested, I'll sent you the code.
A plus of amavisd-new is that you can just as easy make it filter your mail to
the anti-virus software of your choice (I use clamav). Another anti-virus layer
never hurts :)

> I am currently thinking that I need to use exim as my mta and spamassassin
> as my filtering program.  Does this sound like a good approach?
The per-user config needs amavisd-new. As MTA, choose whatever you like best.

> What
> problems should I expect up front so that I can perhaps account for these
> before I change over?  Is there a system that would allow users to send an
> email to say nospam@mydomain.com and it could automatically process this
> mail as spam and prevent future delivery?
You mean a spamtrap? That can be done, but I haven't tried it.

> Thanks for your time and opinions.
>
> Michael

----- End forwarded message -----

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.