Re: Debian queries

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:

>> My reccomendation is to download the kernel-source-* package
>> that corresponds to the kernel you run now.  Use the configuration
>> for your currently running kernel (since you know it works).
>> After going through the process a few times, you will begin to
>> feel comfortable tweaking and changing settings.
>
> I guess it is worth asking the question why bother?

Hardware and feature support that fits you, instead of trying to fit
into the hardware and feature support the kernel-image maintainers try
to make as generic and as bootable on as many machines as possible.

> Especially for a newbie - I can see little reason to try and build your own
> kernel.

Why?  People tell newbies all the time to go use RPM with other
distros, and pretty much anything in RPM is ten times harder than
compiling a kernel package for debian...

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com