Re: Howto get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3

James Tappin wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:22:55 +0100
Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to get my scanner to work under linux 2.6.3; It used to work fine under 2.4.24 but it turns out the scanner module was remove in 2.6

Can anybody tell me how to get the scanner to work? I tried something with libusb but it won't work; I followed http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg01116.html - but running sane-find-scanner under linux 2.6.3 didn't show any scanners even though it should've found the scanner as it was on; So I got the data under 2.4.24 and continued -- but no luck (I also tried following the other hints in that thread)
Also /proc/bus/usb doesn't show anything at all (no files there)

Sounds as if you haven't got usbdevfs and usbfs enabled or at least
operational
try adding:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults  0  0
to /etc/fstab and then doing "mount -a"

The other possible gotcha is an old sane installation in /usr/local,
although that wouldn't prevent /proc/bus/usb having the devices.

No I don't have sane just xsane (and libsane) and none of it is self-compiled and nothing by the name "*sane*" shows up in /usr/local

Is there a known way to find this epson (epson perfection 1650) under 2.6 ? Did I forget to put in a module in this 2.6.3 kernel? I could go back to 2.4.24 if support really is gone but I'd prefer getting this last hardware problem solved :p

After I'd killed the old sane in /usr/local my 1660 (basically the same
thing + slide unit) was fine.

Could you explain the steps to get support in 2.6.3 the way you got it working? xsane still doesn't find the scanner

thank you

Joris