(Solved) Re: usb scanner, kernel 2.6.3

First, thanks to all that helpd. Next, a small howto for references:

For background, and to know what you are going to do, read
/usr/share/doc/libsane/Readme.debian.gz and other Readmes in same
directory. In the example that follows /dev/usb/scanner0 is used. You
may need scanner1, or 2, ...

1. su (become root)
2. sane-find-scanner
3. Change line in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap to reflect findings
   from step 2.
4. It is recommended to add your scanner to /etc/hotplug/blacklist to
   avoid having it recognized by the kernel. I didn have any blacklist,
   so next time I boot I may need to do that, lets see.
5. chown root:scanner /dev/usb/scanner0
6. adjust permissions if needed, the user needs to be able to read and
   write; for example, after adding the username to the scanner group,
   mine shows up as
tony@hpd:~$ ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     scanner  180,  48 2002-03-14 16:54 /dev/usb/scanner0
   It is said to do chmod 0660 /dev/usb/scanner0 in
   /usr/share/doc/libsane/README.Debian.gz
7. adduser username scanner (add the user to the scanner group)
8. logout from X, get back (to make sure that the new group membership
   is recorded) and try it. should work now.