Re: Howto get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:22:55 +0100
Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get my scanner to work under linux 2.6.3; It used to work
> fine under 2.4.24 but it turns out the scanner module was remove in 2.6
>
> Can anybody tell me how to get the scanner to work? I tried something
> with libusb but it won't work; I followed
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg01116.html
> - but running sane-find-scanner under linux 2.6.3 didn't show any
> scanners even though it should've found the scanner as it was on; So I
> got the data under 2.4.24 and continued -- but no luck (I also tried
> following the other hints in that thread)
> Also /proc/bus/usb doesn't show anything at all (no files there)

Sounds as if you haven't got usbdevfs and usbfs enabled or at least
operational
try adding:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults  0  0
to /etc/fstab and then doing "mount -a"

The other possible gotcha is an old sane installation in /usr/local,
although that wouldn't prevent /proc/bus/usb having the devices.

> Is there a known way to find this epson (epson perfection 1650) under
> 2.6 ? Did I forget to put in a module in this 2.6.3 kernel? I could go
> back to 2.4.24 if support really is gone but I'd prefer getting this
> last hardware problem solved :p

After I'd killed the old sane in /usr/local my 1660 (basically the same
thing + slide unit) was fine.

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering