Re: OK, I'm a coward...help me feel more at ease?

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 06:31:10PM +0100, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:57:53 -0600
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Tired of the 2.4.3 kernel that came with Libranet Debian 1.9.1, I am
> > trying to install the 2.6.4-1-k7 kernel image.  It's all downloaded
> > but synaptic tells me I need to put initrd=initrd.img into my
> > lilo.conf. [...]
> > Is there anything else I need to do before rebooting so I will have a
> > workable system afterward?
>
> You need at least the module-init-tools (a replacement for modutils).
> For a complete set of required programs, see the kernel documentation,
> especially the "Changes" file. Also, a few modules might have changes
> names, so look for messages about that.
Hi Nicos,
This is a pet peeve of mine: changing module names. Is there some list
of these changes or a simple readme. Also, anyone know how to use
multiple kernel versions AND load the correct modules for each.
/etc/modules is ONE file. So, I have 2.4.x and 2.6.x and with the name
changes, I have to MANUALLY edit /etc/moduels and such.

> Unless you're running some exotic hardware that is not enabled in the
> default kernel images (like some RAID controllers), you should at least
> be able to get to a console and sort the remaining issues out from
> there.
>
> --
> Got Backup?
Hi Cyb,
I would make sure you have the old kernel installed and have the
matching lilo.conf stanza so that you can use it if needed. And as a
backup, use the 'mkboot' to make a boot disk WITH the old kernel image.
-Kev