Re: LCD Terminal

Tom Atkins wrote:

I have a new system, NO M$. Iinstalled Woody  3.0r1 from the disks I
ordered. Included X. When I was asked if I had a LCD I answered yes and
configured the H & V rates. As root when I do a start x it can not find a
correct configuration file. It thinks the terminal is a TV-2003.  It is a
Microscan A708. The Mother board is a MSI Intel 845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV Chipset
based with on board Vidio and sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Atkins

If you have the 2.2 kernel, you may need to upgrade to 2.4 or even 2.6.

The version of X in 3.0r1 may be too old for the integrated Intel 845 chipset; I'm not sure. You could upgrade to testing or sid, or use backports.org (?) or download a newer version of the XFree86 server. But I wouldn't go this route until you've exhausted other possibilities. (I personally upgrade my workstations to unstable just for these types of reasons; I only keep my servers on stable, because they need to be, well, stable.)

You might also want to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and select VESA as your driver, rather than i810. This will also let you tinker with your monitor settings. (Or if you wanted, you could edit the "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" file by hand, which is what this little tool does, but if you do edit it by hand, you'll break this tool's ability to manage the file.)

--
Kent