Re: Debian queries

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:02:06PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> users@linuxforums.org wrote:
> >It seems with SuSE and redhat (which I played with for a week or two),
> >my major issues are ALWAYS hardware.  Which I doubt is earth
> >shattering.
> >
> >2.  Boot loader -->  I am pretty sure I read on their website
> >Debian uses Lilo.  How come?  I like GRUB.  Can I use GRUB?
>
> lilo is the traditional boot loader. I understand that the next version
> of Debian will use GRUB.

Yeah, the most recent beta of the "debian-installer" system for Debian
sarge defaults to grub: although, just as you could use grub beforehand,
you can still use lilo.

> And even now, and even with earlier versions, you can use either.

I don't think woody's installer supports grub, but you can certainly
install it later.

> >3.  How easy is apt-get really?
>
> See my answer to question 5 below.

I think you're right to be sceptical of the people saying that you
should use Debian because apt-get rocks. I find that some of the reviews
here can get a little ... overzealous; apt-get started out as a
debugging tool for a package management library, and despite many
improvements since then its user interface still sometimes leaves
something to be desired when things don't go according to plan. (Then
again, I still use the venerable and occasionally cantankerous dselect,
so what do I know?)

For me, the benefit of Debian is not any particular package manager.
It's more that we have a set of standards that make package management
tools feasible to use on a very large scale, so that I can have a very
high expectation of success and lack of hassle from installing a set of
packages.

I'd encourage you to play around with the available tools rather than
assuming that apt-get is the be-all and end-all.

> >5.  Does any edition come with OpenOffice, which obviates my need for
> >M$?
>
> I know it's in Sid (the playland of the developers, cutting edge, and
> all that), and I'm confident it's in stable.

It's not, actually, but it is in testing.

> >6.  For the record, I am more than happy to pay for these
> >releases/donate, so unless the costs associated approach micro$oft's
> >office, price doesn't matter.
>
> Debian is pre-eminent among distros in adhering to the principles of
> Free Software (as in "libre", and as in "no cost"). If you stick with
> the official Debian repositories, you'll never have to wonder "Has my
> trial license expired?". Of course, Debian has expenses, so donations
> (http://www.debian.org/devel/join/) are always welcome.

While this is true, I'd just like to say that you have no more moral
obligation to donate than you have legal obligation. Share and enjoy. I
was about to say that often we appreciate donations of time far more
than money, only to realize that Kent had already pointed you to a page
on contributing development effort. :-)