Re: IMAP server to fit this bill?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:03:47AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

> It also relies on the person knowing how to forward in
> a particular format.

The scanner I use (DSPAM) doesn't care about the format. It uses a
special tag in the body or in the headers, and uses that tag to
re-calculate the false match. The body tag is a bit of a hack, but it's
only there to support ancient mailers like elm that don't forward
complete headers, and can be turned off.

As for putting extra headers into a message, I'm not sure why you think
this is a problem. That's what headers are for -- to convey
meta-information about a message.

> It introduces statistics which are meaningless in the final analysis.

Not sure what this means.

> One also has to lock down those addresses to prevent contamination
> from outside sources.  For example, spammers sending mail to the ham
> address.  :P

Yes, but this is solvable by using a subdomain that has no MX exposed to
the outside world (i.e., @ham.mydomain.com and @spam.mydomain.com). Yes,
the spammer could still piggyback by putting the @ham address in a BCC,
but realistically, this is not a big danger, and easily blockable at the
firewall.

> >Is there a particular reason that you need SMTP scanning?
>
>     I do not believe it is right to accept and then silently drop
>     messages.

I never reject or discard messages, and my logs show exactly where every
message was delivered, down to the final mailbox. There is a possibility
that I might not see a message, but that doesn't mean it didn't get
delivered.

> >after you move your mbox
> >messages into the Cyrus message store, they're available from anywhere.
>
>     Except for the local machine unless I'm mistaken in that mutt and elmo
> can access Cyrus' DBs directly?  :P

I'm using mutt and I'm using cyrus, so I'm not sure what this means. If
you're implying that you can't read your mail without an imap client,
then I'll concede that. Big deal. For me, the benefits of imap far
outweigh the disadvantage that there may be some mail clients that I
can't use.

Cheers,

--
Dave Carrigan