Re: IMAP server to fit this bill?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:07:33PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     I'm loking for shared folders so I can offer global spam/ham folders
>     for my users.  I know this is generally a nono but in this instance I am
> willing to run with it given two facts.  The first is that spam scanning
> happens at SMTP.  Per user bayes filters do not apply at that time, it has
> to be global. Second my user base is minute.  I have maybe 6 active mail
>  accounts spread across 3 people.  As such a global bayes DB isn't really
> going to degreade resolution enough for me to worry about it.  However
> presently my users have no way to submit their own messages for training.
> Shared folders seems to be the way to go.

Maybe you need no re-think the requirement to scan at SMTP time. I also
prefer that, but statistical scanning is so much more powerful than
anything else that I finally gave up on SMTP scanning and moved to
delivery-agent scanning, just so I could use statistical methods.
Ham/Spam reporting is done by forwarding false positives/negatives to a
special address.

Is there a particular reason that you need SMTP scanning?

That being said, Cyrus fits the bill for everything you want except the
mbox requirement. But, there are plenty of scripts around that can
migrate mbox onto an IMAP server, so that's not necessarily a
showstopper. Cyrus 2.1 works just fine with Squirrelmail, and it
supports shared folders with full ACLs. Plus, after you move your mbox
messages into the Cyrus message store, they're available from anywhere.

I personally hate mbox; it's slow, especially for large mailboxes (the
uw-imap trick of putting a fake "index" message at the top is an ugly
hack); its format is brittle (the >From escape is another ugly hack);
it's dangerous (better hope everything accessing the mbox is using - and
honoring - the same locking scheme). Did I mention that it's slow yet?

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA