Re: Debain over Redhat

I'm joining the thread a bit late, but...whatthehell.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:34:19AM +1100, Matthew Joyce wrote:

> The vendor will advocate Redhat, but Debian is the only linux I have
> used so that would be my choice.
>
> I will be supporting the box and os, they will support the app.

That's the biggest reason you should be advocating Debian over RedHat;
namely, the fact that you are the one who will have to support all the
distribution-dependent stuff, and I think I'd be safe in making the
assumption that any other Linux boxes you have around all run Debian.
The application vendor doesn't have any responsibility if, say, your
packaging system breaks and you have to fix it, and you're more likely
to be able to get things running quickly on a distribution you know
better.

On top of that, you can point to Debian's fantastic security (even with
the bad break-in, the package archive remained secure), open audit
policies, general freedom from any licensing issues, and the fact that
Debian was a Linux distribution clearly designed by system
administrators -- it follows the System-V layout much better than any
other distribution, is logically organized, and designed to be
maintained over a long period of time, rather than periodically upgraded
like RedHat.

> I do not know the versions of the packages they will want to use, so I
> don't know if vanilla woody will be sufficient.

It should be pretty easy to figure out by looking at the RPM and/or
'ldd'ing any binaries.  Since this sounds like a pure webapp, you
shouldn't have any grief -- at the worst you might need to custom-build
Apache, which I usually think of as a good idea anyway.