RE: Stopping GNOME Launching on Reboot

Thanks to all for your replies. update-rc.d -f gdm remove did the trick.
Thanks, Roland.

-----Original Message-----
From: s. keeling [mailto:keeling@spots.ab.ca]
Sent: 18 March 2004 18:47
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Stopping GNOME Launching on Reboot

Incoming from Richard Hoskins:
> "s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:
>
> > Incoming from Roland Dunn:
> >>
> >> Having typed: "update-alternatives --config x-session-manager" and
> >> choosen GNOME, GNOME now starts up on reboot. I'd like it not to so
that
> >> I can type "startx" when I want it to go into GNOME. How can I
force it
> >> not to launch GNOME on reboot?
> >
> > That's gdm, and you can disable it by [as root]:
> >
> >   1. /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> >
> >   2. edit /etc/init.d/gdm.  Stick an "exit 0" near the top of it.
> >
> > Note you should do it in that order.  The second step disables the
> > first.  And from now on, X desktop changes go in ~/.xsession
>
> Wouldn't it be better to change the symlink in /etc/rc2.d?  (Assuming
> the OP is booting into runlevel 2.)

As you might imagine, d-u has gone over this a few times in the past.
I believe the upshot is, "Six of one; half a dozen of the other", or
YMMV.

_I_ like to be able to change one high-level entity, which controls
all the lower level bits it affects.  That's /etc/init.d/blah

That "2." above ought to be:

   - insert "echo blah startup disabled in /etc/init.d/blah"

   - insert "exit 0" in /etc/init.d/blah

I am not an inittab power user.  I use multi-user and single-user
exclusively.  I don't need a non-X multi-user, and I doubt many others
do either.  I think that's reflected in how Linux & Debian has been
shipping for years.  If you do, then you ordinarily know what to do.

> I think this is better for several reasons.  It preserves init.d/gdm
> in case he wants to start|stop|restart gdm from the command line, it
> allows for running gdm in a different runlevel, and it doesn't depend
> on init.d/gdm running at all when booting in to runlevel 2.  In
> addition, it is consistent with the way System V init is commonly
> used, and documented.
>
> 'mv /etc/rc2.d/Snngdm /etc/rc2.d/Knngdm', as root.

I don't like that for myself for the simple reason that I have a lot
of /etc/rcN.d/XXXX, and I don't want to have to try to keep track of
them all.  I much prefer being able to (eg.):

   head -2 /etc/init.d/* | grep "exit 0"

or something (better: use that echo above and watch boot messages).

You're probably right AND my way works.  :-)

- -