Re: Question re Debian versions

Hello Kevin!

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:44:46AM -0500, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> Presently these two lines accomplish the same thing:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
>
> Once Sarge releases, will the line with sarge automatically mean I'm
> running a Stable box again (while today it is considered a Testing box)?

That's right. And once the release after Sarge comes out the box will
be running oldstable.

Stick to the release names (Woody, Sarge, ...) if you want to track a
certain Debian flavor over the release cycle from testing to stable,
and stick to 'stable' and 'testing' if you want to keep tracking this
particular release while other named releases go by. Please note that
Sid is an exception here, Sid will always be and stay unstable.

Cheers,
Flo