Re: Console is screwy (shows what looks like boot log)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:40:13PM -0600, Brad Sims wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2004 9:50 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > From what I've noticed, some video cards just plain don't like
> > switching between graphical and text modes and pretty much just crash
> > while switching modes.
>
> Hrm, weird... I never had any problems with SuSE 7.3 doing this... (same hw)
> and its fine for a little while after boot... (never actually timed it to see how long it takes).
>
> Video card is a stately Raedon QD (ie no blazing screamer) But it is perfectly supported
> by XFree and I don't need no steenking drivers <g>
> --

I have a radeon 9800. With the ati binaries it does work perfectly
from X to console, switches back and forth, can change resolution,
etc. I am using sid, so, the presence of the xlibmesa in fireglx was
causing a lot of trouble for me. So I decided to switch to vesa (the
only that worked) and removed the ati binaries. I gave up the
possibility of switching back and forth (console <-> X), the
possiblity of changing resolution, I got a shifted screen and a
somewhat flickering screen. But my system doesn't break or require
manual intervention every two days now. I wonder if there are any good
cards left that are truly open to open source.