Spam filtering at SMTP-time

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> writes:

> Currently I am running uw-imapd.

Good.  Hold the course.  You don't need to change your IMAP server to
achieve what you want to do here.

> Newer versions of uw-imapd seem to break Squirrelmail.  Every time I
> upgrade it breaks.  Every time I set it back to a good version it
> does not.

I don't have this problem...

> I'm loking for shared folders so I can offer global spam/ham folders
> for my users.  I know this is generally a nono but in this instance
> I am willing to run with it given two facts.

Bayesian filter pollution between users would make it more or less
useless, though.

> The first is that spam scanning happens at SMTP.  Per user bayes
> filters do not apply at that time, it has to be global.

Sure they do.  dman downplays the effectiveness of his original
solution to this problem, but I tend to prefer it myself.  It allows
for each user to have their own spamassassin settings apply.
http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/

> Second my user base is minute.  I have maybe 6 active mail accounts
> spread across 3 people.  As such a global bayes DB isn't really
> going to degreade resolution enough for me to worry about it.
> However presently my users have no way to submit their own messages
> for training.  Shared folders seems to be the way to go.

If these users have normal shell logins, then all you have to solve,
optionally, would be folders to assign spam and ham to that gets run
through spamassassin -r and spamassassin -k at given intervals.

I've been kind of vaguely wondering in the background if spamassassin
has support form mbox input since that would greatly simplify things.

> I've done some general poking around apt-cache and Google but
> haven't found anything that fits the bill completely.  I am aksing
> here to see if anyone's been in this situation and knows of a
> resultion that I might be missing.  :)

It's sort of something you have to plan for on your own.

- --
: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com