xterm - changes of default colours (invert) - Sid

Following unstable daily, about a week ago, after an apt-get upgrade,
suddenly my xterm comes white on black background. It has always been
black on white background. I didn't make any changes.
The man pages also say:

-bg color
               This option specifies the color to use for  the  background  of
               the window.  The default is ``white.''

-fg color
               This option specifies the color to  use  for  displaying  text.
               The default is ``black.''

I *can* get the colours correct when I specify -bg white -fg black

But: shouldn't `xterm` come with the default colours ?

Uwe