DNS query

Hello all,

I have three machines using a static ip assignment
	1. running smoothwall  as a net gateway (192.168.1.1)
	2. XPpro
	3 debian woody

debian woody can ping the outside world using numeric addresses but is unable to resolve names, whereas the XP machine can do both.

On the debian machine I have set up the gateway in /etc/network/interfaces

and pointed to the name server by changing /etc/resolv.conf to
	search HOME
	nameserver 192.168.1.1

and that the name server is used by checking that /etc/nsswitch contains the entry
	hosts: files dns

From my rather bleary-eyed reading of the Network Admin guide at this time of night it should work - but it doesn't.
Have I missed something?

TIA