Re: ide-scsi emulation not working

Andreas Janssen wrote:

Hello

Kent West (<westk@acu.edu>) wrote:

I've gotten a new Dell with a cdburner; the burner works fine in WinXP
(yech!), but I can't seem to get it working in Debian.

I've found some hints here and there (the eroaster FAQ, google, etc),
but the info hasn't helped.

I'm running sid, with a stock 2.6.3-1-686 kernel.

Then why do you want to use ide-scsi emulation? The kernel and the
userspace programs like cdrecord and cdrdao should be new enough to use
the writer without the emulation. I use my writer with the ide-cd
driver and k3b. All I had to do was to change ownership for /dev/hdc
and /dev/hdd from root.disk to root.cdrom.

Because eroaster won't detect the drive, and xcdroast says that using ATAPI rather than scsi emulation might result in problems, particularly dealing with speed.

In other words, because experience and "documentation" tell me to, and I've found no documentation other than what you and Kirk have said that indicate that I should be doing otherwise.

As I mentioned, the eroaster FAQ and google did not tell me this info; have you got any pointers to documentation that ide-scsi is really deprecated?

Thanks!

--
Kent