Re: postgresql configuration and set-up

I think the secrets in the /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf file.
If your coming from a mysql background, this will seem quite different.
So using your example...
root@thor:su - postgres
postgres@thor:~$ createdb foo
CREATE DATABASE
postgres@thor:~$ createuser foouser
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
CREATE USER
postgres@thor:~$ psql -U foo foouser
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "foo"

--Im guessing this is the error you got?
-- So..
postgres@thor:~$ vi /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
-- Then above all the other entries, till you sort out
-- how you want to use your permissions and security etc
-- put:
-- local	foo	foouser		trust
-- (this assumes you're trying to access from same box)
then...
su -
root@thor:~$ /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
root@thor:~$ psql -U foouser foo