Re: ide-scsi emulation not working

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

> In other words, because experience and "documentation" tell me to, and
> I've found no documentation other than what you and Kirk have said
> that indicate that I should be doing otherwise.

>From the Linux configuration documentation about ide-scsi:
SCSI emulation support (BLK_DEV_IDESCSI)

WARNING: ide-scsi is no longer needed for cd writing applications!
The 2.6 kernel supports direct writing to ide-cd, which eliminates
the need for ide-scsi + the entire scsi stack just for writing a
cd. The new method is more efficient in every way.

This will provide SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices,
and will allow you to use a SCSI device driver instead of a native
ATAPI driver.

----
http://programming.linux.com/article.pl?sid=03/12/09/1341236

    On 6 Nov 2003, bill davidsen wrote:

    > There is a problem with ide-scsi in 2.6, and rather than fix it someone
    > came up with a patch to cdrecord to allow that application to work
    > properly, and perhaps "better" in some way.

    Wrong.

    The "somebody" strongly felt that ide-scsi was not just ugly but
    _evil_, and that the syntax and usage of "cdrecord" was absolutely
    stupid.

    That somebody was me.

    ide-scsi has always been broken. You should not use it, and indeed
    there was never any good reason for it existing AT ALL. But because
    of a broken interface to cdrecord, cdrecord historically only wanted
    to touch SCSI devices. Ergo, a silly emulation layer that wasn't
    really worth it.

    The fact that nobody has bothered to fix ide-scsi seems to be a
    result of nobody _wanting_ to really fix it.

    So don't use it. Or if you do use it, send the fixes over.

    Linus

--
John L. Fjellstad