Re: debian newbie...

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:09:06AM +0200, Mixo Shiburi wrote:

> Now that I am on the network, it seet that my machine cant access
> externel ftp servers.
> In fact, I cannot ping any machine outsing out network work, I get
>  ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
>  ping: wrote ftp.debian.org 64 chars, ret=-1
>
> But, from host I get:
>  mixo:/home/mixo# host ftp.debian.org
>  ftp.debian.org has address 128.101.80.131
>  ftp.debian.org has address 208.185.25.38
>
> I take it my machine has a firewall which has blocked many ports by default,
> How do I get my machine to access ftp and ping server outside our network.
>
> Http is not a problem as we use a proxy.

One remote possibility you might look at is that your ISP _could_ be
blocking some packets.  I can't see them blocking ftp, but my ISP (as
well as some others, I've heard) were blocking pings, especially for a
while, because of the viruses.  This is probably not your case,
especially with ftp, but if all else fails, you might check into this.
As you said above, however, you might need to check your firewall.