Re: debian newbie...

Hello

mixo (<mixo@coza.net.za>) wrote:

> I have been playing around with debin woody (rc2) for about week now,
> and I have varying success. The biggest problem I have is my wireless
> NIC (prism2). The "vanilla" kernel simply freezes my system, the
> "bf24" never connects to the network but gives tx errors. This lead me
> to try and recompile the kernel, which is where I end up with
> unresolved symbols.

Did you maybe forget to make dep? When exactly did you get the
unresolved symbols? Did you compile the kernel with make-kpgk or
without? Which version did you try to compile?

> Now for my question: what path do I need to follow
> to get my NIC working? If I need to recompile the kernel, which config
> should I use, and what other packages should I have installed before
> recompiling? Also, what other additional packages, drivers should I
> get that are not part of the debian cd distribution?

You should install build-essential, kernel-package (make-kpgk) and
either ncurses-dev (menuconfig) or tk8.3-dev and tvl8.3-dev (xconfig).

You could however try one of the packages from <http://backports.org>.
They are precompiled, I think at the moment 2.4.24 and 2.4.25 are
available. You need however configure your boot loader to use the
initrd that comes with the kernels if you want to use one of them.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976