Re: debian newbie...

Now that I am on the network, it seet that my machine cant access externel ftp servers.
In fact, I cannot ping any machine outsing out network work, I get
 ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
 ping: wrote ftp.debian.org 64 chars, ret=-1

But, from host I get:
 mixo:/home/mixo# host ftp.debian.org
 ftp.debian.org has address 128.101.80.131
 ftp.debian.org has address 208.185.25.38

I take it my machine has a firewall which has blocked many ports by default,
How do I get my machine to access ftp and ping server outside our network.

Http is not a problem as we use a proxy.