Re: my experience upgrading from exim3 to 4

On 2004-03-16, Andy Firman penned:

> I finally got motivated and upgraded to Exim4 as well but I did not go
> to the effort of using a backup MX.  From what I know, most good MTA's
> are built with redundancy and will try for a couple of days before
> they drop any mail.  My concern was being down and getting
> automatically un-subscribed to all my mailing lists.  That would be
> bad.

Well, I already had a backup MX (just in case my ISP turns evil or
something), so it wasn't a big deal to take advantage of that feature.
I wasn't so much worried about email not finding a server; I shut down
port 25 because I didn't want email to find a *misconfigured* server as
I was setting it up.  Imagine having your mail server announce that your
user doesn't exist here; fun stuff like that.

--
monique