Re: my experience upgrading from exim3 to 4

* Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org)[20040313 21:47]:
> In summary, the conversion itself was fairly painless.  The only gotchas
> were that the exim start links were not removed from /etc/rc?.d and that
> for some reason something (presumably some undead form of exim3) was
> holding on to port 25.

That part about the process on port 25 is a bit strange, but
having the init scripts in place shouldn't be a problem.
Init scripts hang around when you remove (without purging) a
package, but they usually begin with something like

DAEMON=/usr/lib/exim/exim3
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

So if the package is removed the init script will simply
exit.  So having it invoked at startup shouldn't be a
problem, since it just exits without doing anything.

As for the old exim hanging around on that port, that's
strange.  It sounds like it didn't die completely, or
perhaps you were spawning it from inetd and inetd hadn't
restarted completely?

Either way, I find 'sudo netstat -ntlp' a very valuable
command in such situations.  Hang onto that for next time.

good times,
Vineet